Morgan K. Lopez
Phone: (925) 210-2808
Fax: (925) 945-1975
MORGAN K. LOPEZ graduated cum laude from the University of Michigan Law School in 2001. After graduating law school, Mr. Lopez practiced civil litigation with Pillsbury Winthrop in San Francisco and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, LLP in Palo Alto. During his tenure at Skadden, Arps Mr. Lopez externed as a prosecutor with the Marin County District Attorney’s Office, where he tried 13 cases to juries. Mr. Lopez currently maintains a general litigation practice, and has experience in both state and federal courts.
Since joining the Firm in 2011, Mr. Lopez has litigated actions spanning a wide variety of disciplines, including theft of trade secrets, environmental compliance and enforcement, wage-and-hour class actions, product liability, real estate fraud, and contractual disputes. Additionally, Mr. Lopez has represented BART, a public transit agency, in administrative appeals before the California Occupational Safety and Health Appeals Board and in the Superior Court in connection with actions challenging critical BART work practices.
- E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Co. v. USA Performance Technology Inc. (U.S.D.C. N.D. Cal.) Represent DuPont as plaintiff in theft of trade secrets case (related federal prosecution resulted in conviction of multiple defendants on 22 counts).
- The People of the State of California v. Phillips 66 Company (Alameda County Superior Court) Represent Phillips 66 Company in a government enforcement action brought by the California Attorney General’s Office seeking penalties for various UST and hazardous waste violations throughout the State.
- Soto v. Castlerock Farming & Transport, Inc. (U.S.D.C. E.D. Cal.) Represent a table grape grower in putative wage-and-hour class action. Class certification denied.
- Irvine Fuel Exchange, Inc. v. ConocoPhillips Company, et al. (Orange County Superior Court) Represented ConocoPhillips Company in breach of contract action against former fee operator. Case settled during motions in limine.
- Chill Chain, Inc. v. Berkeley Farms, Dean Foods Company (San Francisco County Superior Court) Represented Berkeley Farms and Dean Foods in breach of contract action against former distributor and in defense of antitrust and price discrimination claims brought by distributor. Obtained summary judgment on all substantive claims.
- In the Matter of the Appeal of Bay Area Rapid Transit District (Cal/OSHA Appeals Board; Alameda County Superior Court) Represented BART in appeal of Cal/OSHA citations challenging procedure for de-energizing equipment. Secured dismissal of citations. Writ of administrative mandamus pending in Superior Court.
Areas of Practice:
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- California, 2001
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 2011
- J.D. – University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, MI 2001
- Honors: cum laude
- Law Journal: University of Michigan Law Review
- B.A. – University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 1998
- Major: English Literature
- Minor: Spanish
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of California, Member
Past Employment Positions:
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, Associate, 2005-2010
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP, Associate, 2001-2003