Andrew T. Mortl
- Phone: (925) 210-2805
Fax: (925) 945-1975
Andrew T. Mortl has been litigating and trying complex commercial and environmental matters for more than two decades. Recognized as a California “Super Lawyer,” he has extensive experience in a wide variety of complex litigation matters, including environmental, product liability, toxic torts, business torts, intellectual property, commercial disputes, oil and gas, and eminent domain.
Mr. Mortl graduated magna cum laude and Order of the Coif from the University of Minnesota Law School in 1995. Mr. Mortl then joined Pillsbury, Madison & Sutro, where he received substantial trial experience before joining Glynn & Finley in 1999. He regularly serves as lead trial counsel for a variety of Fortune companies, including AT&T, DuPont, Chevron, Conoco, General Electric and Phillips 66.
- Millennium Tower Litigations (San Francisco County Superior Court) Represent developer and its related entities and founders in a series of fraud and construction defect litigations associated with the construction and marketing of the Millennium Tower in San Francisco.
- People of California v. Bay Area Rapid Transit District (Alameda County Superior Court) Represented BART in a governmental enforcement action brought by three counties seeking nine figures in statutory penalties for various UST and hazardous waste violations.
- Adelhelm, et al. v. Union Oil, et al. (Santa Barbara Superior Court): Represented ConocoPhillips in a series of homeowner property diminution and toxic tort litigations involving real estate developments on former oil fields in Santa Maria, California.
- The People of California v. ARCO, et al. (Alameda Superior Court): Represented ConocoPhillips in a government enforcement action seeking nine figures in statutory penalties for various UST violations throughout California.
- Emeryville Redevelopment Agency v. Chevron (Alameda Superior Court): Represented Chevron U.S.A. Inc. in an eight figure environmental contamination lawsuit involving a former bulk terminal in Emeryville.
- Lauritzen Yacht Harbor, et al. v. E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company (Contra Costa Superior Court): Defended DuPont against eight figure property value diminution claims relating to groundwater contamination plume.
- Sacramento Container Corporation v. Temple Inland (Sacramento Superior Court): Represented Temple Inland in a multi-million dollar jury trial involving an alleged joint venture to supply paper products to a national account.
- Calpine Corporation v. EOG Resources (Solano County Superior Court): Represented EOG in an oil and gas dispute involving a transfer of mineral assets and a right of first refusal.
- Lead trial counsel for E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company and AT&T for the companies’ California asbestos litigations.
- Cordovano v. Sears Roebuck and Co. (San Francisco AAA Arbitration): Represented Sears through a binding arbitration in a representative employment classification, antitrust, franchise, fraud, breach of contract, and unfair business practice action attacking Sears’ nationwide Authorized Retail Dealership Program.
- Monster Cable Products v. Discovery Communications, Inc. (U.S.D.C. N.D. Cal.): Represented entertainment company in defense of trademark infringement claims associated with the use of the term “Monster” in connection with television programming.
- Aamodt, et al. v. General Electric Company, et al. (San Diego County Superior Court): Represented GE in a personal injury action related to a dental x-ray machine. Orange County Water District v. Aerojet-General Corporation, et al. (Orange County Superior Court): Represented Aerojet in a multimillion dollar PCE groundwater contamination cleanup action.
- Roseville Telephone Company, et al. v. AirTouch Cellular Inc. (U.S.D.C. E.D. Cal.): Represented AirTouch (now Verizon Wireless) in a partnership dispute related to the right to provide wireless services in the Sacramento Valley.
Areas of Practice:
- Toxic Torts
- Products Liability
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Business Torts
- Employment – Employer
- Eminent Domain
- Oil & Gas
- California, 1995
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1995
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1998
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1998
- J.D. - University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1995
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- B.S. – University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, 1990
- Major: Finance & Management
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of California, Member
Past Employment Positions:
- Pillsbury, Madison & Sutro, Associate (1995-1999)