Phone: (925) 210-2800
Fax: (925) 945-1975
Adam Friedenberg is a trial and appellate lawyer who regularly serves as lead counsel for various Fortune companies. He has handled a wide range of complex commercial litigation and class actions, and also regularly handles environmental, toxic tort, intellectual property, and labor and employment matters. He has broad experience handling petroleum marketing disputes, including under the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act, and also provides advice and counseling on legal issues impacting the downstream petroleum industry.
Mr. Friedenberg is a 1999 graduate of the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. In addition to the California Bar, he is a member of the Florida Bar, and has practiced in Florida. He has been designated a California “Super Lawyer,” a rating reserved to the top five percent of all California attorneys, each year since 2013.
- Phillips 66 v. ARCO, et al. (Los Angeles County Superior Court). Represented Phillips 66 in action to enforce right of first refusal to purchase pipeline to Los Angeles International Airport. Case resolved on favorable terms on eve of trial.
- Aana, et al. v. Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc. (U.S.D.C. Hawaii). Represented Pioneer in mass tort claim concerning farming operations brought by neighboring landowners. Tried bellwether claims to jury verdict, followed by resolution of remaining claims.
- Jang, et al. v. E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company (U.S.D.C. N.D. Cal./ 9th Circuit) Represented DuPont in putative class action challenging aspects of employee stock option program. Obtained dismissal via dispositive motion; case currently on appeal to Ninth Circuit.
- In re ConocoPhillips Service Station Rent Litigation(U.S.D.C. N.D. Cal.). Represented ConocoPhillips in Multi-District Litigation brought by California service station dealers challenging rent and other franchise policies. Obtained complete dismissal via dispositive motion.
- Chill Chain, Inc. v. Berkeley Farms, Dean Foods Company(San Francisco County Superior Court). Represented Berkeley Farms and Dean Foods in breach of contract action against former distributor and in defense of antitrust and price discrimination claims brought by distributor. Obtained summary judgment.
- Castaneda v. Burger King Corporation; Vallabhapurapu v. Burger King Corporation; Newport v. Burger King Corporation(U.S.D.C. N.D. Cal.). Counsel for Burger King in statewide class actions under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Barrous v. British Petroleum, et al.(U.S.D.C. N.D. Cal.). Represented BP and other defendants in an environmental contamination lawsuit brought by a neighbor of a service station in San Jose. Case settled after motions in limine were filed.
- Houtan Petroleum Corporation v. ConocoPhillips Company(U.S.D.C. N.D. Cal.). Represented ConocoPhillips in action by former franchisee alleging improper franchise termination. Tried case to jury verdict; obtained defense verdict and full recovery on ConocoPhillips’ counterclaims.
- Fazli v. ConocoPhillips Company(U.S.D.C. N.D. Cal. and U.S.C.A. 9th Cir.). Represented ConocoPhillips in action by former franchisee alleging improper franchise nonrenewal. Obtained summary judgment in trial court, then successfully briefed and argued appeal in Ninth Circuit.
- Phillips 66 Benzene Product Liability Litigation(California Superior Courts, Various Counties). Represented Phillips 66 Company in various benzene litigations venued throughout California.
Areas of Practice:
- Commercial Litigation
- Petroleum Marketing
- Intellectual Property
- Product Liability
- California, 1999
- Florida, 2006
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- J.D. – University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California, 1999
- Law Journal: Communications and Entertainment Law Journal, Member, 1998 – 1999
- B.A. – The University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 1996
- Major: History